BAMS stands for Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery. It is an undergraduate degree awarded in the field of medicine to those who have completed the study of five and half year medicine course including one year internship. The minimum criteria to take admission in this course is to complete 12th class education with science. After passing the 12th class, the student is required to clear a state or national level BAMS entrance exam to get admission in the respective medical college.
BAMS: Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery
What course contains
The BAMS course curriculum contains in depth study of Ayurved topics along with the study of modern anatomy , principle of modern medicines, principle of surgery, ENT, pharmcology and many more. Ayurveda is an ancient medical system of India. It not only talks about the cure but also provides solutions to prevent the recurrence of diseases. According to Ayurveda, the illness or diseases arise due to three types of dysfunctions in human body; Kapha, Pitta and Vata.
Thus, this course has a unique combination of ancient Ayurved and Modern Medicine. This facilitates the BAMS graduate to use the modern medicines as well as the ayurvedic medicines in practice.
Future after BAMS
After completing the degree, the BAMS graduate can work in following areas:
- General practice or hospital administration
- Clinical reserch field
- Ayurved consultaion
- Herbal products manufactorer
- Take admission in MD or MS programs in Ayurved
- Msc in helth science or nutrition
- Helth superviser
- Panch karm (massage) centers
- Ayurvedic therapist
- Medical tourism
- MBA in Hospital Healthcare management
A student completed the BAMS degree is designeted as Ayurvedacharya. He can use the courtesy title “Doctor” upon registration as a medical practitioner.
Popular Ayurvedic Colleges in India
- Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Banglore
- Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh
- Gujarat Ayurved University, Jamnagar
- Ayurvedic Medical College, Kolhapur
- Tibia College, Delhi
- Bharati Vidyapeeth, Pune
- JB ROY State Medical College, Kolkata
- Shri Ayurved Mahavidyalaya, Nagpur
- Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan Rajasthan Ayurved University
- Government Ashtang Ayurveda College, Indore